Applications period for 2013-2014 has now ended. Next round will be announced late 2013.
The Master of Science in Urban Design Programme is organized as a self-financed programme of the Graduate School at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. The tuition fee is $115,000 for 2013-2014. The places for the programme are given based on the academic and professional merit of the application.
- Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning or a related area recognised by the country where the school is located.
- Statement of purpose - Explanation of your reasons for applying
- Portfolio including:
a) Selection of previous school work - Evidence of your design abilities
b) Practical work with declaration and comment on your own contribution
- Supporting material:
a) Record of practical experience - Evidence that the requirements have been fulfilled
b) References - Evaluation form by employer (preferably direct supervisor)
c) Other documents as required by the University
More detailed information on the supporting documents required by the University can be found at the Graduate School website.
The portfolio of independent work should illustrate independent studies and your own work from practical experience and should be accompanied by a commentary of not more than 1500 words. The portfolio should not exceed A4 size and no more than 20 pages. It should be selected to fit best to the materials which you want to present. In general, the portfolio should inform in a concise way about your school and practical work. It should not be a loose collection of material; but be clearly structured to reflect your educational and practical experiences. Proper credit and context must be given for all work shown including author, collaborators, and professional office in which the work was completed. Failure to properly credit work may result in the portfolio being discounted or the applicant being disqualified. Please put down your full name on the front cover of the portfolio for ease of identification.
All application materials should be submitted directly to the School of Architecture, Room 106, AIT Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., HONG KONG (Attention: UD Programme) not later than 17 May 2013. The evaluation and reference letters are confidential and should be sent directly by the referees. The application form can also be filled out and submitted online at the Graduate School website.
Admission to Master of Science in Urban Design Programme 2013-14
- Apply for admission through the CUHK Graduate School website's online application system by filling out the online application form.
- Download the Confidential Recommendation Form and the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet from the online application system, fill in your personal particulars and send the forms to 2 referees and your university respectively. The completed forms and the official transcript should be sent back to our School directly by your referees and your university in a sealed envelope before 17 May, 2013. Please also upload a copy of your academic transcript onto Graduate School application system if you have the student copy.
- Submit the following documents to the School of Architecture in person or by
i) Statement of Purpose
ii) Record of Practical Experience with proof (e.g. reference letters, employment contracts)
iii) Employers’ Evaluation Form (to be sent by the employer to the School in a sealed envelope before 17 May 2013)
iv) Proof of payment of application Fee of HK$180 / US$ 24 (for overseas applicants, please send the bank draft to the School by post)
v) Copy of identity document, e.g. HKID card OR passport
vi) Copy of Graduation Certificate of your Bachelor / Master Degree
vii) Copy of one of the score report of TOEFL, or GMAT (verbal), or College of English Test (CET) of PRC, or IELTS, showing that the applicant from a non-English speaking country has fulfilled the English Language Proficiency Requirement, i.e. IELTS: Band 6.5; TOEFL: paper-based 550 / computer-based 213 / internet-based 79; GMAT: verbal 21; CET 6: 430.
- Portfolios of (a) previous school work and (b) independent work with your full name and application number marked on the cover should be sent to the School in person or by post. Note that no soft copy of portfolio will be accepted. Do not upload it for submission.
- Submit proof of fulfillment of 9-month practical experience in person or by post to the School of Architecture by 15 July 2013, the latest. The letter should include your position, date of commencement and termination, and that it was a full-time post.