This DRU organises research and teaching activities in the areas of urban design and landscape architecture, with a focus on sustainable approaches to urban regeneration and new town design with particular consideration of ecological and socio-economic concerns in the context of Hong Kong, Macau and the Pearl River Delta.
UDLU coordinates activities within the core Architecture programmes as well as the BSSc in Urban Studies programme and MSc in Urban Design programmes at CUHK, aiming to create various synergies between the related academic fields.
The creation of two new urban programmes has allowed expanding and diversifying the teaching and research capacities with hiring new faculty members with backgrounds in urban economics, ecology and geography (as joint efforts of the School of Architecture and Department of Geography and Resource Management). This gives architecture students the opportunity to enroll in specialised courses related to urban issues and to integrate interdisciplinary perspectives into the courses ARCH4721 Land and City as well as ARCH5721 Urban Design and Planning.
Studios are aligned with ongoing research projects. For instance, the Re-scripting Urban Rules in Hong Kong, Macau and Shenzhen (2014) comparative design studio was linked to a General Research Fund project (see below).
Selected Research Projects
- Measuring the impact of the MTR West Island Line on public space and community life in Hong Kong’s Western Districts, 2014-2016 (Tieben, Baniassad, Govada)
- Re-envisioning Community Space in Tin Shui Wai, 2014-2015 (Tieben, Fung)
- Re-envisioning Community Space in Sai Ying Pun, 2014-2015 (Tieben, Fung)
- Investigating the Urban Rules of the Pearl River Delta cities: Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Macau and Shenzhen, 2013-2014 (Tieben, Liu)
Selected Studio Projects
- The Radical City and its Architecture, G19 MArch 1, 2014-2015 (Fournier)
- Mass Transit Developments in Old High-density Districts: Western District, G3 MArch 1, 2013-2014 (Fournier)
- Re-scripting Urban Rules: Hung Shui Kiu, G14 MArch 1, 2013-2014 (Tieben)
- Hung Shui Kiu New Town, G14 MArch 1, 2012-2013 (Fournier)