15-27 July 2019
Explore how to see, make and experience architecture.
This summer programme aims to enable secondary school students from Hong Kong and abroad to understand first-hand the joys and challenges of studying architecture. It provides an opportunity for enrolled students to unleash their creative potential through art, design and architecture.
During the two-week programme, students will learn to see the significance of architecture through lectures offered by professors from the School of Architecture, and explore the fun of design making by transforming a concept into three-dimensional spaces, using both hand tools and computing software. Students will also experience architecture through guided field trips to significant buildings and professional architectural offices.
Over the course of the programme, enrolled students will be tutored to develop their individual design projects. Periodic “design reviews” are also scheduled for students to present their work and receive advice from faculty members and design professionals.
The combination of studio learning, workshops, lectures and field trips presents a unique introduction to different aspects of architectural practice today.
What will you explore?
- How a design is transformed from an initial concept into a built reality for people to live, work and play in
- How an architect translates a design from two-dimensional plans into three-dimensional spaces
- What tools are used by hand and computer to make such design transformations
If you would like to explore these ideas and skills and see whether Architecture could be your future career, then the Architecture Explorer Programme at CUHK is the right place for you.
What do we offer?
- Lectures, building tours, workshops and design studios
- Manual and digital drawing and model-making skills
- Direct access to Design Studios, Digital Design Lab, Workshop and Architecture Library
- Guided tours of architectural offices
- Personal career counselling in architecture
- On-campus living in CUHK college housing (optional)
Who will be your instructors?
An international panel of architects, as well as professors of architecture in design, history and theory, building technology, computational design and urban design will be your studio instructors:
Patrick Hwang (Programme Director)
Assistant Professor and Registered Architect (USA)
MSAAD (Columbia), BArch (RISD), BFA (RISD)
Adjunct Assistant Professor
MArch (Harvard), BA (Arch) (Princeton)
Adjunct Associate Professor and Registered Architect (USA)
MArch (Harvard), BSc (Brown), AIA
Kar Him Mo
PhD (CUHK), MArch (CUHK), BSSc (CUHK)
Adjunct Assistant Professor
MSAAD (Columbia), MArch (RMIT)
The following professors of our School of Architecture will also give lectures during the two-week programme:
Associate Professor and Registered Architect (UK)
MPhil (Cantab), DipArch (Cantab), MA (Cantab), HKIA, RIBA, ARB (UK), HKIA
MArch (UCLA), BArch (Carleton)
Adjunct Associate Professor
MAUD (Cornell), MCE (Cornell), BArch (Syracuse), BS Eng (Cornell)
Assistant Professor and Registered Architect (Italy)
PhD (UPC – Barcelona), MA (U Naples), BA (U Naples)
Jeroen van Ameijde
Assistant Professor and Registered Architect (UK)
MSc Arch & Bldg Tech (TU Delft), RIBA, ARB (UK)
With outstanding CUHK architecture graduates as Teaching Assistants: Andrea Chan (BSSc 2016), Jasmine Chan (MArch 2019), John Lau (MArch 2019), Carol Wong (MArch 2019) and Luke Yau (MArch 2019)
Secondary School Form 4, 5, and 6 Students
No prior art and design experience required
Hong Kong Residents: 30 April 2019
Non-Hong Kong Residents: 31 March 2019 (with visa application, if required)
HK$13,800 (includes design tool set and computer lab fee)
On-campus college housing available with additional fees
- Deposit and accommodation fee are not refundable.
- Programme withdrawal requests should be sent to email@example.com as early as possible so that your place can be given to applicants on the waiting list. 50% of the programme fee will be refunded if we receive a written withdrawal request with a valid reason by 10 June 2019. No refund will be made for requests received after this date.
- No refund or reduction of programme fee, accommodation fee, or visa application fee will be made to late arrival to the programme, dropout, or dismissal from the programme due to violation of programme regulations.